"Locke & Key"

     “Locke & Key” debuted on Netflix on February 7 this year, but if you haven’t watched it yet, you definitely need to catch it up.  The series might seem childish, but luckily isn’t. It’s really engaging and you can’t take a break from it. You just “swallow” all ten episodes without knowing. The plot line isn’t complicated, but somehow is truly interesting. I adore series about mystery and magic, so I liked this one. To be honest, I was scared that this series would be a disaster, but I’m happy to be wrong. It is dedicated to children above the age of 13, but I think it should be designed for older teenagers. It has some really scary moments and at the age of 25 I was terrified. 


tvline.com


    The series tells a story of Locke family who moves into Key House in Massachusetts after a tragical death of Mr. Locke. Key House was his family mansion, one of the oldest building in the city. Nina, the widow moves in with her kids: Tyler, Kinsay and Bode. The family never visited this mansion, Rendall Locke didn’t want to go there or mention it. Pretty quickly turns out that the mansion has a secret. It looks like and old mansion that we can see in historical movies o series, so for me it was obvious that there is a mystery in the Locke family. The title of the series is a clue and I think that even a person with half of the brain will figure it out. Obviously, in the Key House we will find hidden keys which possess magical abilities. The keys whisper and their voices are leading Tyler, Kinsay and Bode to their hiding place. Each key holds a different power and the kids will find them one by one. Of course, there is a villain who wants the keys and will threats the Locke family. Through the series we can see how the whole family is struggling with the death of Rendall, but also some secrets will be revealed. Going deeper into the series it seems like nothing is what it seems and the image of their father and husband wasn’t complete. Many years ago there was an accident and 3 of Rendall’s best friends died. The children also discover a black door with an Omega sign and that his father and his friends was the Guardians of the keys.  



    It was really fun to watch the searching of the keys and the adventures of protagonists. Like I mentioned, each key has a different ability, for example: one opens any door (but you need to see this door before), the other one helps you get to someone’s mind and other can make you a ghost and fly around the borders of the estate. Thanks to the last one Body talks to his great-great grandfather, who died at least a hundred years ago. At the beginning I was annoyed when only Bode was finding the keys, but luckily it changed. I can feel al the mystery and I was curious what will happen next. There is also a very interesting thing: soon it turns out that the younger brother of a deceased doesn’t remember almost nothing from his childhood (thanks to another key we know why) and that Nina doesn’t remember that she had seen the magic of the keys. Later, she remembers after getting back to drinking after almost 6 years of sobriety. The creators didn’t explain why this happens and I think they should. This is one of the disadvantages I found during the series and I hope it will be explained in season 2. The other disadvantage is the passage of time. It looks like the plot was happening during week or maybe two, but according to the characters it was a couple months. I didn’t notice that and I was really surprised by this fact.  

netflix.com

    I must admit that “Locke and Key” was one of the most surprising series. I admire the creativity of the creators and the special effects. This series also shows how people are struggling with the fears and loss of their loved one. Rendall Locke was murdered by one of his students on the eyes of NinaHe also wanted to kill the rest of the family, but got stopped by Nina. Kinsay and Bode were hiding in the basement trying not to make any noise. The memories of that day are hunting all the family and affecting on the present.  

I recommend this series to everyone, but you definitely should watch it in the day light. I was watching it at night, when my family was already sleeping and I was pretty scared. I hardly fall asleep that night and when I finally did, I had bad dreams. I’m definitely waiting for season 2, hoping it will be as good as the first one. 


screenrant.com



Comments

Popular Posts